West Coast Eye Institute
Cataracts are normally an aging process of the eye.
- Every one world should get a cataract.
- The only way to remove a cataract is through surgery.
- Cataract surgery is the MOST common surgery in the USA.
Inside our eyes, we have a natural lens. The lens bends (refracts) light rays that come into the eye to help us see. The lens should be clear, like the top lens in the illustration.If you have a cataract, your lens has become cloudy, like the bottom lens in the illustration. It is like looking through a foggy or dusty car windshield. Things look blurry, hazy or less colorful with a cataract.
At the time of the removal of your cataract, your surgeon will replace it with an artificial lens. This intraocular lens (IOL) is picked for your based on your specific eye's needs, measurements, and your wants for your visual outcome. There are dozens of options; but more importantly the right options is the ONE that is RIGHT for YOU. So, talk to your ophthalmologist about your wants and IOL options.
For more information about cataract surgery, click here.
Picking the RIGHT Intraocular Lens Option:
- The lens are made often from acrylic or silicone.
- They last forever and the only "maintenance" is a one time clean up behind the lens for a film tissue.
- The standard lens is a GREAT lens and results in excellent vision at 1-specific distance of vision.
- The premium lens is a GREAT lens that is designed to help you with a RANGE of vision. This lens is the most like a perfect nature lens.